About the Y
The Y is one of the nation’s leading nonprofits strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Across the U.S., 2,700 Ys engage 21 million men, women and children – regardless of age, income or background – to nurture the potential of children and teens, improve the nation’s health and well-being, and provide opportunities to give back and support neighbors. Anchored in more than 10,000 communities, the Y has the long-standing relationships and physical presence not just to promise, but to deliver, lasting personal and social change.
The Virginia Alliance of YMCAs is comprised of 29 independent Ys and more than 85 centers, making up an extraordinary group of dedicated nonprofits working together to strengthen the communities in Virginia. Each of our Ys are equipped and motivated to deliver lasting personal and social development to people of all ages, races, backgrounds, faiths, abilities and income levels. The Virginia Alliances of YMCAs is a membership association representing the interests and concerns of independent YMCAs throughout the Commonwealth. The staff- and volunteer-led Virginia Alliance of YMCAs exist to ensure that Ys in Virginia are positioned to respond promptly and effectively to statewide challenges and opportunities. The capacity to respond collectively supports Ys in furthering their work in youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
The purpose of the Alliance is to:
- Foster statewide communication and cooperation among YMCAs.
- Gain consensus on issues of importance to the YMCA.
- Make policy and decision makers aware of the YMCA’s mission and programs, and gain recognition as a leader on issues that affect children and families.
- Advocate on behalf of the children and families served by the YMCA.
- Protect the operating integrity of the YMCA organization in order to carry out its mission.