Statewide Pioneering Healthier Communities
The Pioneering Healthier Communities (PHC) initiative is a collaborative of diverse statewide partners promoting policy, systems, and environmental change across Virginia to create fair opportunities for children to access healthy food and physical activity. The primary goal of this initiative is to address the childhood obesity epidemic in Virginia through sustainable and systemic change.
Our objectives are to:
- Increase physical activity and nutrition components in early childhood and out-of-school time
- Increase the number of youth participating in 150 minutes of physical activity per week.
- Advocate for shared-use agreements with schools and community facilities to increase the number of spaces community members can access for physical activity.
- Support the implementation of competitive food guidelines and policies to improve the nutritional intake of all youth.
- Create greater partnerships to address childhood obesity in Virginia.